The mercury levels on South African thermometers have started to dip all across the country. But while we look forward to a dose of Netflix and hot chocolate, winter comes with its own complications when it comes to driving and keeping your vehicle safe. So we’ve put together a few tips especially for winter car care and driving safety.
Don’t get caught out
Breaking down in cold weather can be particularly miserable because cold or wet conditions can make waiting on the side of the road uncomfortable or even dangerous. Ensure that you are ready for the worst by being prepared for all eventualities. Before you leave on a trip:
- Make sure you have enough fuel. Don’t forget to put in a little extra for unforeseen circumstances like getting stuck in traffic or getting lost on your route.
- Check your oil levels regularly and ensure that you are using the correct oil to top up.
- Check water levels in the radiator to keep it running optimally.
- Don’t forget to top up the water for your windscreen washer.
- Examine the front and rear wiper blades to ensure that they are working properly.
- Inspect demisters and heaters to check that they are in working order.
- Check all your driving lights including indicators.
- Inflate tyres correctly with sufficient tread for optimal driving.
- Clean any frost that might have collected on your windscreen and side mirrors.
- Ensure you are in a good state to drive by being well-rested, warm and alert.
- Keep up to date with weather and traffic reports in the media to help you plan your journey.
Standard vehicle equipment
Check the parts that usually come standard with a vehicle such as a reflective triangle (which you are required to have by law), a wheel spanner, jumper cables and a car jack. If you don’t have them, or they aren’t in a working condition, ensure that you replace or repair them in advance.
Keep these items in your vehicle emergency kit:
- Fire extinguisher
- Tyre gauge
- Tyre sealant
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Duct tape
- Cable ties
- Tow strap or tow rope
- Multipurpose utility tool with a sharp knife
Avis Fleet’s solutions are a comprehensive offering that enhance every aspect of fleet management. We have solutions that help customers with everything from vehicle acquisition to maintenance, Telematics and making provisions for accidents.