The ‘Internet of things” is a buzzword right now. Industries from infrastructure design to interior design, appliance retailers, architecture, health and many more are being revolutionised by this technology. But what is the Internet of Things and can it be relevant in the fleet management industry? This blog takes a look at how this trend could be used to great effect by a fleet management company and contribute to the success of your business.
What is the Internet of Things?
Forbes Magazine defines The Internet of Things as “the concept of basically connecting any device with an on and off switch to the Internet (and/or to each other). This includes everything from cellphones, coffee makers, washing machines…wearable devices and almost anything else you can think of.” This will impact the lives of ordinary people in a lot of different ways, for example, your coffee maker could synchronise with your alarm and have coffee ready when you wake up, or your car could update your calendar to inform colleagues in the meeting that you are attending that you are running late.
What this could mean for business?
According to this Microsoft video the integration of people, assets, processes and systems, through the Internet of Things will lead to businesses extending their reach and making better use of resources. For fleet management companies the use of technology is already making this service more efficient for customers and saving them money. What are some of the ways it works and how can we expect it to change in future?
The Internet of Things driving the success of fleet management
Technology has made it possible to optimise your fleet performance. Outsourcing fleet management to a fleet company who can monitor a large amount of useful data will help fleet managers to get the most out of their fleets and avoid waste.
- Telematics is one of the major ways that fleet management is becoming more efficient through technology. Using this GPS-like tracking tool, Fleet Managers will know where their drivers are at any time. This will ensure that the driver is using the most efficient route and not making unnecessary stops. Telematics also encourages better driving because it monitors excessive speeding, idling, and harsh braking and this can have a big effect on fuel efficiency.
- Fleet companies can also counteract fuel fraud by monitoring fuel spend with an effective fuel management solution.
- Traffic fine management takes the hassle out of paying fines by sorting out the red tape for you.
- Accident management will ensure that you can avoid the inconveniences associated with accidents such as sourcing vehicle repair.
- Maintenance can be performed in a more proactive way using technology. Maintenance control will inform Fleet Managers when vehicles are due to have a service. Making sure vehicles are up-to-date with their maintenance will ensure that you don’t lose out on revenue when vehicles are off the road.
- Green fleet ensures that businesses use the right vehicle for the job. This is good for fuel efficiency but also for reducing carbon footprints.
The Internet of Things is set to change the world we live in and this includes fleet management. Avis Fleet have a range of solutions that make use of the latest technology to improve your business and make your life easier. Check out our fleet solutions and contact us for more information.